Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday - May 1, 2011

Submarine
Lat 30 40 99 Long 81 27 67; eng 743.15; 178 gal

Left Fernandino around 9:00. Little bit of a tough time getting off the dock because we had boats ahead of us and behind us. Finally figured out that the bow should be held and then put a light touch to revers to swing the stern out. Worked fine. Our goal was to anchor around Cumberland Island just in the North Brickhill River.

We moved out and crossed Cumberland Sound heading north. The channel was nice and deep because upstream there there is a US Navy submarine base. We passed by the submarine base and there were a couple of security gunboats cruising around. All of a sudden one of them started coming at me, lights a blazing. They announced on the radio I was going the wrong way and the the ICW was to my right. For a moment I didn't realize they were talking to me, but as the boat got closer I suddenly woke up and immediately turned to my right into the ICW. Don't really want to upset these guys - probably blow you out of the water.

Once I got back on track we headed north into the Cumberland Dividings which is really a split of between the ICW and the south Brickhill River. It has a reputation for being shallow at the junction. Fortunately a really large cruiser passed me as we entered the area so I just followed him. His draft was deeper than mine so I figured if he didn't get stuck,, neither would I. As we were cruising this stretch of the ICW, deer flies kept coming into the boat and I got bit several times. Since our anchorage was going to be in this area, we decided that it would not be a good place to anchor with these flies all around. We decided to continue on Jeckyll Harbour Marina and stay the night there. As we rounded Cumberland Island, we saw one of the things the island is famous for - wild horses. They were on the beach.






When we arrived a Jeckyll Harbor Marina, our new friends from Lady Royal were already there and were with some old friends on Finally who we originally met in Port St Joe on the Florida panhandle in November. Their home port was Jeckyll Harbor Marina. So we went to lunch with all of them and a few others.

1 comment:

  1. David and Brenda-We hear you about the Navy Submarine Base and know how easy it is to get off track. We made a comment on our blog about it. When you get to Norfolk, stay clear of any Naval Warship that is sitting still or moving. When we were leaving, departing Warship #1, warned all mariners to stay clear or they would be met with armed response and/or prison time.

    ReplyDelete