Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday - April 10, 2011

lat 24 52 425; long 081 05 25; fuel 196 gallons; eng 672.57

Today, I woke up I found the water under the depth sounder to be around 4 feet. This means the depth under my stern was around 1.5 feet because of the large keel. This worried me because the ICW on the inside up the Florida Bay is not noted for its depths and I would be rubbing bottom a lot of the time. After due consideration and after checking the weather reports I decided to make a run for Miami by going outside. This really meant going all the way to Miami as there are not very many anchorages on the outside and very few opportunities to get back inside. So away we went. Left a t 9:30 and arrived at the Biscayne Channel at around 6. Long day but I never had to worry about the depth of the water and Hawks Channel is well marked.





As we pulled into the Biscayne Channel we spotted these houses that are off to each side of the channel. While some look abandoned, some people are living in others. I think I would hate to be in a hurricane while living in one of these. I once saw similar houses in Indonesia where people lived in the homes.


Inside the harbour before 7


We went into Biscayne Bay with the intention of going to Marine Stadium right across from Miami but after seeing that it would take about an hour to get there we decided to go into No Name Harbour on Key Biscayne. When we went in, it was full but we found a spot. Spanish music was being played quite loudly. Obviously this was a party spot on the weekend. However at 7, everything ended and people began pulling out for the evening. As a result there were very few boats left anchored for the night. This ia a nice quiet spot, but a little bit buggy (noseeums) but really protected. Watched the sun go down from the top deck and then had dinner. A long day but an easy one as I used auto for most of the trip. No worries about depth.


Sunset inside No Name Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment