Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday - October 25, 2010

Today we attended several sessions. Brenda attended sessions on traveling the Tenn-Tom Waterway and the from Mobile to down through Florida. I attended one on marine maitenance and started attemnding one on electronics before I decided it was too basic and then I joined Brenda for the Florida session. All were very informative and we picked up some good information. Tomorrow the Florida session will continue and discuss options for getting from Alabama to Florida - either going around the Big Bend or going across the Gulf. I think the draft on our boat is too great so we will have to go across which I think is an 18 hour trip.

The women then attended a separate session fro women in the afternoon and the men attended a separate session for them. Interesting and informative but I think they were more geared to people who are thinking about starting the Loop because a lot of it related to information given by current Loopers. One of the things among others that I commented on was diving under the boat to effect repairs. It amazed me how many people thought nothing of using a Hookah or air line attached to a compressor on board and diving under the boat with no experience. Of course, I pointed out that diving with compressed air is inherently dangerous even if in only 3 or 4 feet of water. I hoped a few people listened.

After those sessions we went back to the room and laid down for a while, then Brenda went out for a walk and I read. We then we went to a reception and dinner, sat with our cruising friends and had quite a few laughs. This rendevous is very good and has some good informative sessions. Lots of fun.

For those of you that are interested, we are staying at the Club at Treasure Island for at least two months starting December 1. Treasure Island is close to St. Pete's Beach and Tampa. We anticipate arriving around December 1 and returning home on December 10 for Christmas. I will be driving back after January 1 and Brenda will fly back sometime later in January.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience. We have started researching condos.

    ReplyDelete