Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday - October 19, 2010



Got up early in order to get a good start to the day. We wanted to travel about 85 miles today as we would have the current with us as we traveled down river. We left at 8 EDT which is 7 CDT as our destination was Goose Pond Marina in CDT. The current as we left was about 1.5 knt, so that the engine could be set to achieve a speed of 8.5 knot and we were going 10 knts. The hills had changed quite a bit from the time we traveled past them on our way up to Chattanooga - more colour in the trees. The trip was uneventful except that we traveled quickly and arrived at Goose Pond Marina at around 3:30. Coming up took us two days to travel from Goose Pond to Chattanooga. We went through one lock and we really traveled for a a while after that lock because of the current.

Our intention was to arrive at Joe Wheeler Park on Thursday for the Looper Rendevous which starts next Sunday. In order to make sure that I could get a space for Thursday to Saturday, I phoned the Park to book a spot. To my surprise< i discovered we had no reservation despite the fact that I had indicated to the AGLCA that I would be arriving by boat. I had expected that by indicating on the registration form that I would be arriving by boat that an automatic slip reservation would be made. Wrong assumption! I paid over $500 to attend and I knew that the marina would cost more but as I say, I expected them to reserve a slip for those committing to attend. Maybe I missed the section that said you have to book a space or maybe my expectations were set by my former work place - when I committed to a conference or a meeting the room was reserved for me. In any case, it is likely we we move on the Aqua Marina, earlier than we thought and rent a car and drive there which is probably about a hundred miles. I hope I run into the organizers of this conference to give thme my thoughts on the organization. Oh well, have to make some phone calls tomorrow to sort this out.

Good thunderstorm in the Marina after we arrived. Could see it coming while we were on the river. Thunderheads building up as we traveled and I hoped we would get into our slip before it hit.

1 comment:

  1. Uh,oh, maybe somebody should warn the organizers of the conference that you are arriving!! I am sure you will give them more than your "thoughts"! However, I agree with your point of view. That's awful that you have to travel a hundred miles! Anyway we are looking forward to seeing you on Nov. 1!!

    ReplyDelete